The ever popular breast augmentation Baltimore surgery involves using implants to increase the size of your breasts or restore breast volume that has been lost after weight reduction or pregnancy.
Breast augmentation can:
- Increase fullness and projection of your breasts
- Improve the balance of your figure
- Enhance your self-image and self-confidence
Here we will break down the 4 main categories a patient needs to consider when determining what type of implant is best for them- fill, shape, projection and size.
Breast Implants Fills – The type of material inside the implant
- Saline implants are filled with sterile salt water. They provide a uniform shape, firmness and feel. Should the implant shell leak, a saline implant will collapse and the saline will be absorbed and naturally expelled by the body. Saline implants are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 18 or older.
- Silicone or Gel implants are filled with silicone gel. The gel feels a bit more like natural breast tissue. If the implant leaks, the gel may remain within the implant shell, or may escape into the breast implant pocket. A leaking implant filled with silicone gel will not collapse. Silicone implants are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 22 or older.
- Cohesive Gel implants are similar to the “gummy bear” implants because they maintain their shape even when the implant shell is broken. The consistency of the silicone gel inside the implant is thicker than traditional silicone gel implants. These implants are also firmer than traditional implants, but are thought to be less likely to break. Cohesive gel implants are shaped rather than round. They have more projection at the bottom and are tapered toward the top. If a shaped implant rotates, it may lead to an unusual appearance of the breast.
Breast implants Shapes –The form and shape of the implant
- Round implants have a tendency to make breasts appear fuller than cohesive gel implants. Higher profile options can achieve even more projection. Because round implants are the same shape all over, there is less concern about them rotating out of place.
- Smooth implants are the softest feeling. These implants can move with the breast implant pocket, which may give more natural movement. These implants may have some palpable or visible rippling.
Breast Implant Profiles – The height and how far forward the implant will project from the chest
Until recently, most patients never discussed breast implant profiles with their plastic surgeons in Baltimore area. When comparing two breast implants of the same size (i.e. ‘cc’ or volume), the implant with a wider base provides a lower projection (that is it has a lower profile) compared to an implant with a narrower base. Higher profile implants can provide a more dramatic end result whereas lower profile implants tend to yield a more natural result. If you chose a certain size breast implant, you would have a specific amount of forward projection from that size implant.
Now, you can choose a breast implant size and, if you like, have that size implant stick out more or less than the base diameter would usually dictate. Note the different projection heights below.
- Moderate Profile (regular / standard)
- High Profile
- Low Profile
- Moderate “PLUS” Profile
For a woman with a very narrow frame, a moderate profile breast implant or low profile breast implant that might result in a desired size, may be too wide and carry the implant too far to the cleavage and underarm. By using a high profile implant, this patient can get the larger implant she desires with an implant that will not be too wide for her narrow frame. By the same token, a wide framed patient may find that to adequately cover the natural diameter of her breast size, the desired breast implant would have far too much projection. A low or moderate profile breast implant might work better. Your plastic surgeon can help you choose.
Breast Implant Size (CC’s)
Dr. Jeffrey Schreiber has years of training and experience to rely upon in deciding on the right size breast implant and fill after you tell and SHOW him or her what you want. Bring pictures to your consultation of women who are near your height, weight, bust circumference, breast shape. Pictures will enable Dr. Schreiber to better determine your goals, the size and look you are going for.
Dr. Schreiber will be happy to go over breast implant surgery and answer all of your questions during a personal consultation. Call (410) 902-9800